Monday, October 22, 2012

A tool in my kit . . . .

One of the tools in my tool kit for voice over is working with a local improv group on the Northern California Coast called the Hit and Run Theater. This crew has been at it for several decades, and for the last three years I have been fortunate enough to be a part of the festivities.

Improv is an amazing discipline, and emphasizes skills which are vital for script analysis and character development. Add into the mix a need to work well with others and get out of your own way, and I believe it is an invaluable part of my voice acting arsenal.

And as these photos by my wife, Bessy of our performances at the Hill House in Mendocino last weekend show, it's a heck of a lot of fun.

Christine is confused by Doug's obvious enjoyment of Ken's massage
I give Doug Nunn an on stage neck massage, much to 
Christine Samas' surprise.
Steve is having none of Ken's whining.
At the end of our improvised opera on pickles, 
Steve Weingarten prepares  to deliver the death blow to me, 
as  Kathy O'Grady, Dan Sullivan, and Christine look on.
Ken, Kathy, and Steve take points of view
A bit of imrovised song with me, Kathy, and Steve.
"All better now?"
Doug cures my character of hyperactivity, at least momentarily,
as Jill Jahelka appreciates the moment.
Improv has given me a new way to look at my voice work, and I am glad I have it! I owe a big debt of gratitude to all the Hit and Runners.

No comments:

Post a Comment