Sunday, September 23, 2012

Here come the auditions . . . .

After what seemed like a period of spotty audition activity, last week was very busy. This weekend alone I had four scripts to read from my agent, plus an inquiry on rates from a German company. When it rains . . . .

Image via Kate's Voice
Auditioning from home, which is all I've ever done, is a solitary beast. It makes me feel so isolated, and there is no sense of how well or poorly you did other than whether you get the gig . . . or don't. The lack of feedback can be maddening, and I do often rely on my friend, producer and narrator Beth Richmond,  to give what I've done a listen and let me know her opinion of my performance. There is just no substitute for another set of ears. Yet at times I must just trust the process and the preparation and talent I have, and roll with it.

I have also begun practicing with the improv group I work with, the Hit and Run Theater. We will be performing at the Hill House in Mendocino for two shows next month, and the interplay with these talented folks always tones my performance muscles. Improv is a great tool to have in my kit, and it definitely helps with script analysis and helps me give a unique take to any reads.

All this gives me a greater sense of connectedness to my art, and I am grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment