Friday, September 7, 2012

Left out or right away . . . .

I was getting ready to head to my day job today when I checked my email, and there was an audition from my agency (Stars of San Francisco) which was due in about an hour. It was for a ballot initiative here in California, Prop 37, which would require appropriate labeling for genetically engineered foods. I grabbed the two scripts, did a quick read, and sent them off, but it did occur to me: what if the spots were for a position or candidate I didn't agree with?

According to one of my idols, D. C. Douglas:
There are many voice over actors who will not provide their services for anything that is contrary to their political views.  I’m not one of them.   I don’t think the power of my voice and the quality of my timber can actually make someone do something. (Just like video games and rock music don’t make you do anything – you and your brain/brain chemistry are responsible!)   If I’m not recording it, someone else is.  I’d rather the money landed in my bank account – a secular Liberal with Libertarian leanings…
 This seems quite realistic and reasonable, yet I find a part of my soul sort of screaming in pain when I think about doing a script for, oh . . . say, Citizens United, or just about any Republican. NOT that this has been an issue, mind you.

I guess it is easier for a working VO guy to say yea or nay to this or that political ad. For now, I want work, and if I book something I will take it. If I have qualms about the leanings of the subject of the script, I can always give the money I make to the opposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment